Join a think tank that is making a difference
Grattan Institute is a think tank founded in 2008 to provide independent, rigorous, and practical solutions to some of Australia’s most pressing policy problems. With substantial independent funding, an eminent Board of Directors, and a dynamic CEO, we are shaping the policy debate on many of the important challenges and opportunities facing Australia.
Grattan’s unique culture provides an opportunity to add significant value. You will be working with a small, curious, driven, and a supportive team motivated to make a difference.
Grattan Institute’s Intern Program
Read our Internship FAQs
Join Grattan as an intern
Grattan Institute’s internships provide opportunities for tertiary, postgraduate students or recent graduates interested in public policy to develop their research skills and contribute to original work on some of Australia’s most pressing policy issues. We also consider candidates who are interested in exploring a career change and are interested in gaining experience in public policy.
Internships are open to local and international students. In response to COVID-19, we successfully run both virtual and blended internships in 2020 and 2021. At this stage, we are unable to say whether the internships in 2021/2022 will be run in person, virtually or blended but will keep this page updated.
Internships are on a voluntary basis. For in person internships, we cover the cost of interstate travel for those not residing in Melbourne but cannot cover the cost of international travel. We will offer 2 funded places per internship for candidates experiencing financial hardship. These funded places are for candidates who can demonstrate they are from a low socio-economic background or are experiencing an unexpected event that is causing significant financial hardship.
Eligibility/selection criteria for funded places are:
- A local applicant (an Australian citizen or permanent resident)
- Demonstrate that you are from a low socio-economic background or experiencing an unexpected event that is causing you significant financial hardship
Internship and applications dates
Grattan Institute offers three internships each year over winter and summer. In 2021/2022, we will offer the following internships:
- Winter 2021: 28 June – 23 July 2021 (Applications open on Monday 12 April and will close at 11.59pm AEDT on Friday 30 April 2021)
- Summer intake 1: 22 November – 17 December 2021 and summer intake 2: 10 January – 11 February 2022 (Applications for both intakes will open on Monday 2 August 2021 and will close at 11.59pm AEDT on Friday 20 August 2021)
Successful candidates will work in one of our six programs; Budget Policy and Institutional Reform, Energy, Health, Household Finances, School Education or Transport and Cities programs. You are welcome to specify which program interests you but applicants will be considered for all programs.
- Demonstrated interest in Australian public policy
- Clear communication skills
- Strong qualitative and quantitative research skills (social sciences, sciences, statistics, law, finance or economics) and familiarity with Excel
- Have completed at least two years of an undergraduate degree by the end of 2021
Working days and hours
Working hours are flexible to accommodate other commitments. The internships can be worked for a minimum of 3 days a week up to 5 days a week. Note that Grattan requires a minimum of 20 days for the duration of the internship.
Written application requirements
Applicants will be expected to submit:
- a one page resume;
- an unofficial academic transcript;
- a 500 word writing sample answering a public policy question which will be released when we open applications for the relevant internship
Grattan Institute is an equal opportunity employer and applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
For further questions about our internship program, please contact Jasmine Malki on (03) 8344 0083 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
All positions are advertised here as they become available. Please check back for updates.
For further questions contact email@example.com